Garage Door Replacement Cost – Garage Door Repair vs Replacement
Garage door replacement can be costly, but not every problem can be repaired.
In some cases, replacing your garage door is the best option for your quality of life and the value of your home. (A new garage door is actually one of the most cost effective home improvement investments you can make!)
Here are some easy ways to tell whether your garage door needs repair vs replacement, plus a breakdown of garage door replacement costs vs. value for your home.
Garage Door Repair vs. Replacement
This list is only a general guide – having a professional assess your garage door is the only way to know for sure whether your door needs to be repaired or replaced.
When to Repair Your Garage Door
Typically, it will be more cost effective to repair your garage door when you notice sudden issues or minor damage.
These may include:
- Sudden strange noises
- Door not opening or closing
- Door opening or closing partway
- Door opening or closing on its own
- Door off balance or uneven
- Door has trouble opening or seems heavy
- Minor damage to panels, sensors, cables, or other components
When to Replace Your Garage Door
Garage door replacement is usually the best option if you have long-term concerns or the door was majorly damaged.
This may mean:
- Your door has been acting up or making weird noises for a while and it’s only getting worse
- Your energy bill has been high and you want to better insulate your garage
- You don’t love the way your garage door looks and want to improve your curb appeal (for yourself or a potential buyer)
- You want to upgrade your door to get modern security, safety, & quality of life features
- You’ve had a break-in and need to better protect your home
- Your door has major structural damage from weather, vehicles, or some other traumatic event
Value of Garage Door Replacement
Garage door replacement is one of the few home improvement projects that will pay for itself in added value to your home. Whether you plan on staying in your current home for the foreseeable future or you’re planning on moving, replacing and taking proper care of your garage door is a project that pays for itself.
Replacing your garage door is a relatively minor project that can significantly increase the value of your home. According to a study by Remodeling Magazine, upgrading your curb appeal – including garage door replacement – creates the highest increase in year-over-year value of your home. Of all home improvement projects, garage door replacement has the second highest resale value for the cost in 2020.
According to a different study by Clopay, 70% of realtors agree that a new garage door helps sell a home faster, and 80% of realtors believe a new garage door can impact home value.
To get the most out of your new garage door, you’ll want to consider visual factors like design and color as well as durability and security.
Garage Door Replacement Cost (How Much Does a New Garage Door Cost?)
Home Advisor recommends: “Whatever your budget, add 20% for overages and other cost considerations when either installing a new door or replacing the one you already have.”
Home Advisor reports the national average garage door replacement cost as $1,117, with most replacements falling between $600 and $2,750.
Remodeling places the average garage door replacement cost at $3,599.
These numbers are based on averages, which will not necessarily reflect the cost of your garage door replacement or the estimates you get from your local companies. It’s smart to have a budget in mind, but estimates and actual costs will vary based on factors like:
- Things like style, shape, size, and material of the garage door will affect costs of replacement.
- Quality of labor and scope of service can impact total costs.
- Your geographic location will have a huge impact on cost of service.
- Any customizations can increase the cost of your new garage door and its installation.
Because of these factors, you won’t know how much your own replacement will actually cost until you get an in-person estimate. Many companies (including Precision) offer free estimates, so give us a call and let’s setup an appointment today!
What Affects the Cost of Garage Door Replacement?
Most online estimators use parts and labor to generate a basic estimate. This includes:
- New garage door, opener, & other hardware (tracks, adhesives, connectors, fasteners, cables, springs, etc.)
- Proper garage door removal and disposal
- Electrical wiring installation
- Installation of garage door and hardware
- An average of 5-7 hours of professional labor
How Your Choice of Garage Door Can Impacts Costs
|Style||You can choose designs like raised panel, short panel, long panel, contemporary, modern, carriage house, French door, etc. (French doors are intricate, visually striking, and typically the most expensive.)|
|Shape||Typical options include square, rectangle, clipped corners, round top, and camber.|
|Size||Standard garage door height can be anywhere from 7-10 feet tall. For width, you’re looking at 8-16 feet depending on single vs. double garage doors. Custom garage doors can offer even more sizing options.|
|Material||Wood doors are generally more expensive to replace, while vinyl doors are more affordable. Standard materials include wood, vinyl, steel, aluminum, fiberglass, faux wood, and wood composites.|
|Brand||Some garage door brands are more commonplace, while other brands offer “designer”-type doors that are more expensive.|
|Insulation||Typically, doors with better insulative properties cost more. Added insulation like weather sealing will also add to your costs.|
Hardware & Service Factors That Impact Cost
|System integrity||Some garage door systems remain intact or work well enough that only the door needs to be replaced. However, if other parts of the system have been damaged or strained, those parts will also need to be replaced.|
|Opener replacement||Replacing your garage door opener along with your garage door means you’ll have to pay for the opener, its hardware, and its installation as well.|
|Scope of service||If you need special services like widening the garage opening, replacing hardware, or exterior framing, your costs will go up.|
|Quality of service||Choosing an experienced, highly rated company can increase your costs, but will save money long term and give you peace of mind that your garage door is functioning optimally.|
|Location||Garage door replacement costs vary widely from city to city and state to state.|
|Home attributes||The design, age, and integrity of your home can impact how easy it is to replace your door.|
|Custom vs standard||Choosing custom and semi-custom garage doors will increase your costs. You can customize everything from materials and design to handles, trim, window shape, and more.|
Why Choose Professional Garage Door Replacement Over DIY?
Professionally trained technicians know how to replace garage doors quickly and correctly the first time. Garage door systems are complex, and DIY repairs can create additional costly issues that need to be fixed immediately or down the road.
- Poor workmanship can decrease your quality of life and lower the value of your home by creating unappealing noises, making your door unstable, and posing a safety hazard to your home’s occupants.
- High-quality workmanship ensures all aspects of the garage door are operating smoothly and cohesively within the whole system. This means you have fewer repairs over time, your garage is more appealing to potential buyers, and you don’t have to worry about your family’s safety.
In the case of Precision Garage Doors, you’re paying for decades of experience, training, and trusted local service. Our technicians are experts in the installation and repair of garage doors and openers.
Our service is top-rated, locally owned and operated, and backed by the Precision national brand. We offer an industry-leading warranty on garage door replacements and overhauls.
Call today to schedule your
free Garage Door Consultation!
Call 24/7 - (864) 641-3739